Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Flowers and old walls

This is just a quick post as I have major internet problems and masses of work to do plus anyway, I think the photos speak for themselves. What could be better - a sunny weekend, beautiful summer flowers and historic buildings? First up, Chastleton House where I volunteer. Simple plants - Verbascums and poppies - against historic walls and buildings.


Verbascums in the forecourt with the church as backdrop
Copyright John Hackston

Poppies in the stableyard
Copyright Juju

We've weeded this area in the Stableyard - picking up anything that wasn't a poppy - which has given them the chance to display their full glory.

At Greys Court (also National Trust), the gardens are all stunning as they have the backdrop of a ruined medieval property. Despite having a blinding migraine, I managed to struggle round and see (most of) the glorious planting and stunning ruins:

Acanthus spinosus (Bear's breeches)
Copyright Juju

Clematis, stone trough and crumbly wall
Copyright Juju

Plant theatre in the kitchen garden
Copyright Juju

I really want a plant theatre myself - I can just picture it on the old stone wall of the back of our house. Surely they can't be too difficult to make?


No comments:

Post a Comment